Mount Elbrus 5,642 m
The Elbrus is with 5.642 Meter the highest point of the European continent and counts to the most famous „Seven Summits “. The ascent from the south is among mountaineers, because of a well-built infrastructure, as well as the comfortable and beautiful accommodation, the most favourite route. We will climb the west summit (5.642m) which is 21m higher than the East summit.
The tour takes 8 days in total, which includes one extra day (reserve day) just in case of bad weather. With a minimum of 4 participants, the tour will be guided personally by Bernhard or another Mountain guide from Mountain Sports Zillertal. A local guide will be joining the tour as well, since he knows the Elbrus and its surrounding like the back of his hand.
We will have at least 1 mountain guide for 4 people. This would mean maximum chance of reaching the summit. Just in case one of the participants wants to turn back, we have the ideal chance of taking regard on the different skills of performance from all the participants.
For the ascent of the Elbrus we have cooperate with the GoElbrus cooperation. This organisation takes care of the setup on site and takes care of the invitation for our Visa.
1. Day: Arrival in Mineralnye Vody. Meeting of all participants and transfer to Terskol in the Baksan-Valley (ca. 4 hrs.). Overnight stay in a hotel 2-3 person rooms with Shower and Toilet.
2. Day: Start with an acclimatization tour to a beautiful waterfall and observatory (3.100m). By good weather we will be able to see an majestic panorama including the view on the two Elbrus domes and the mighty Dongus-Orun (duration ca. 7hrs+/-900hm). The alternative would be going up with the ski lift to 3.800m and enjoying a small hike to get used to the height. The overnight stay occurs in the same hotel as the previous day.
3. Day: With the ski lift we head onto a mountain hut on ca. 3800m. All other belongings which are not needed, can be deposited in the hotel. After a short tea break we start the ascent to Prijut 11 and higher (ca. 4.300m). By good fitness we continue the ascent. This night we stay in a modern hut (close to the old Botschki) in a more bedded room (ca. 3hrs. ascent)
4. Day: Acclimatization ascent to the Pastuchov-Rock on ca. 4.800m. By good fitness we continue the ascent (ca 8hrs.) and stay overnight in our hut.
5. Day: Rest day and further acclimatization. Today we try to gain all our power for the coming challenging Summit tour and we check the equipment needed. On request we can do a short tour in the surrounding (until ca. 4.300m) By very good fitness of the group and good weather we can start the ascent already today. The decision will be made on short term and depending on the circumstances. Overnight stay in our hut.
6. Day: Summit day! Early get up (around 2 am). It can be very cold and windy, but also mild and not windy at all. We leave the accommodation around 3 am to see the sunrise on the height of the Pastuchov-Rocks. On request of the group, we can also get a ride on a piste bully to the Pastuchov-rocks. The ascent will be significantly reduced (Ride for 10 people ca. € 400, -) Overnight stay is planned like the day before. Ascent ca. 10 hrs., descent ca. 4 hrs., +/-1840hm.
7. Day: Reserved day. If the ascent was not possible on day 6, or not successful, there will be a tough day ahead. Ascent with the piste bully until the Pastuchov-rocks, hike to the summit, return to the cable cars and descent. Overnight stay in a Hotel in Terskol. If the summit was successful we have an easy descent to the Baksan-Valley and return to the hotel and enjoy a hike in the surrounding.
8. Day: Group transfer to Mineralnye Wody and the individual flight back home. Duration of the drive 3-4 hrs (190km).
Mountaineering experience is beneficial and very helpful. Especially because of the altitude and the glaciated summit structure is a demanding high-altitude tour. Slopes up to over 30 ° steepness require safe walking with crampons. Even if a crevasse fall is very unlikely, it is necessary to go roped in parts. A substantial condition is essential, on the summit day 1,900 vertical meters are to be mastered up to an altitude of 5,642m and the support by means of a snowmobile is by no means guaranteed. The mountain guide will accompany you on the tour and support you if possible, but there is no guided tour in the sense of a classic tour - as in the Alps on the rope of the mountain guide to the summit and back - instead.
- visa invitation
- Local registration and formalities on site
- Group transfer from and to the airport in Mineralny Vody
- Stay at the hotel in Terskol, 2- or 3-bed rooms, camp at the mountain lodge
- Full board on the mountain, at least half board in the valley
- Mountain guide of Mountain Sports Zillertal as contact and accompaniment from Mineralny Vody and assisting mountain guides for the summit day (per 4 guests 1 mountain guide)
- Fee for National Park
- summit certificate
- Arrival / Flight to Mineralny Vody
- Additional payment for a single room in the hotel
- Snowmobile ride on the summit day ≈ 70 € (the exact price depends on the number of passengers)
- Cable car rides
- Taxi from / to the airport for earlier or later arrival / departure (about 100 €)
- Europäische Reiseversicherung Komplettschutz Plus
All important information
from 5 - 8 people
Terskol, by appointment
€ 1490, - per person
21.06. - 29.06.2019
more dates on request
This Journey is organised in cooperation with Alpinschule Bergführer.com
This undertaking is bound with the alpine risks and dangers. You are ready to take the risk by joining this tour and you will practice as an independent mountaineer. Just like for example with Mont Blanc, we can await all different sorts of weather. From icy -30°C till real hot sunny weather, storms or not windy at all...everything is possible.
Hiking in great height (Summit day until 5.600m) means a big burden for the organism and a high risk on becoming mountain sick. This is why we advise you to accustom your body in advance of the tour to heights; for example, staying in a hut on the mountains (min. 3000m). Ideal can be a participation of one of our high alpine tours during the week before departure. You have to be in good health and good fitness. By doubt, please consult a doctor bevor traveling.
Please take into account that the organisation, housing, board and transfer in Caucasus do not correspond to the European standard. Because of storm, construction sites and in general unpredictable events or bad circumstances, we can have a delay or might have to chance the program if necessary.
You should register as early as possible to reserve your desired date. After we have received your registration, you will get a written confirmation. We then ask you to make a deposit. The remaining balance will be due on-site at the beginning of the tour.